11 May 2007

South African Court: Men cannot be raped

I was horrofied when I read about the Court's ruling about men rape. In a country where rape of both men and women, boys and girls is so very common - I am deeply disappointed about this incredible narrow minded decision.

How can it be that sodomising a woman against her will
can be classified as rape and forced sodomy of a men can't? With all do respect, but in what way does a female anus differ from a male bum, apart from belonging to a woman's body? In what way is forced sodomy of a woman worse than forced sodomy of a man? In both cases, it entails the same horrific deed with the same humiliating, traumatising impact. I am a 100% sure that a male victim of anal rape is just as much violated and hurt as his female counterpart. And maybe even more so due to the heavy taboo that still rests on male rape worldwide.

To me, anyone who with the use of force shoves his privates into someone - no matter what hole, no matter if the victim is a man or a woman - is a rapist.

Miriam Mannak, Africa in the News / Cape Town, South Africa

4 Comments:

Blogger The Good Woman said...

Hi Miriam

I admire and agree with your stance on many issues in your blog. These are news stories and reflect real problems that South Africa faces. This I do not dispute.

However, as a very proud South African, I worry about the lack of balance in your posts. I found you through Expat Women where I noticed you are a mentor. I worry that, in reading your blog, others thinking of living in SA will run for the hills and never get to experience the other face of my country.

They will never meet the millions of people who have worked towards reconciliation.
They will never see the breathtaking landscapes nor explore its wild places.
They will never witness its characters of all different hues.
They will not feel the hope that I do, that South Africa has a bright future, if a very murky past and a questionable present.

Please tell me. Why are you still living there? Because, having read your blog, I don't understand. I don't mean that in a nasty way - I am not accusing you of being a 'crime whinger' as to ignore crime in South Africa would be to display total ignorance. But I would really like to know why you stay.

4:59 pm  
Blogger Miriam Mannak said...

Hi there!

Thanks for your comment. Yes, you are right: I take a critical stance, despite the fact I love South Africa. And that is why I stay: Because I love the country with all my heart, despite its problems. I know about its beauty and stunning people. About the country rich history.

I know from own experience that there are many people who contributed to reconciliation but the very sad truth is that for millions of people, not too much have changed. I invite you to visit one of the townships and talk to the people and see how they live, and to talk about their hardships.

I do not want to be nasty - please, believe me - but I have met many South Africans who have never been outside of their comfort zone. To them SA is the most beautiful place on earth - because they can afford it, for starters- but they have never thought from the point of view from the poor.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. It made me think. I will post more positive stories on my blog.

Hope we can stay in touch, as I am sure we can have some interesting discussions.

Miriam Mannak

5:11 pm  
Blogger The Good Woman said...

I know the ones you mean. I have ventured a bit though - In SA and in Zambia. And I found stories of hope everywhere. Often they were borne of sadness and hardship, which made them so mcuh more poignant and inspirational.

In your post The People Vs Crime and Crooks you spoke of the unsung heroes. Let them sing!

9:00 pm  
Blogger Francesca Romana ALEGI said...

Ciao Miriam, I totally agree with you, there is no difference, violation is violation horrible, ANYWAY.
Greetings from Italy

10:25 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home