19 October 2006

My Hero: Rosamond Halsey Carr

I have been thinking about Salan (who commented on my previous blog) has said. About making a difference and giving everything you got to make that difference, at all times and at all costs. Thinking about that, one name pops in my mind: Rosamond Carr. Rosamond Carr, or Roz, moved to Central Africa in 1949 together with her husband. She lived in Congo, the former Zaire, before she ended up in Rwanda in the late 1950’s.

I remember this graceful lady very well, as when we lived in Rwanda from 1982 to 1989 my parents and I visited her regularly at her plantation Mugongo. She was always kind, warm, friendly and hospitable, and her doors were always open to the Rwandans living in the area.

When the genocide struck Rwanda in April 1994, Rosamond Carr refused to turn her back to Rwanda, as the western world did. After being evacuated briefly, she returned t her flower plantation on the foot of the volcanoes, to find it in ruins.

Imbabazi Orphanage

Being in her mid-eighties, Rosamond Carr opened her home to children who had lost their parents in the horrific violence that killed approximately 1 million Rwandans. Over the years, her orphanage Imbabazi (a mother’s love) took over 400 children of all ethnic backgrounds, and gave them a loving home and a prospect to a future.

I was incredibly saddened when I heard this remarkable lady died last month at the age of 95. Roz, or Madamme Car as I used to know her, was a true angel who stuck around when heaven – Rwanda was truly the most beautiful country in the world – turned into hell. And most of all: she managed to make it a better place to hundreds of children.

Too late

I always wanted to go back to Rwanda, to meet her again and see for myself what wonderful work she has done. I guess I am too late, as I will never see her again. To those who want to know more about this wonderful lady, please read her book Land of a Thousand Hills. To those who want to keep her spirit alive, please vote for her in the Volvo Life Awards. Winning this award will not only keep her memory alive, it will also contribute to her orphanage and the children. It is a small effort, but definitely worth it. Click here, followed by a click on New Jersey. You will see Rosamond’s Carr Profile. Please vote for her.


Miriam Mannak / Africa in the News - Cape Town

1 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Mannak said...

SA culture is a very broad topic, so I will need to know what you want to know. Are you focusing on the coloured culkture? Xhosa culture? Zulu culture? Afrikaner culture? Venda culture? Ndebele culture? Look, South Africa is like a quilted blanket of many different cultures. So if you would like to give a more specific idea about what your project is all about, I will do my best to assist you. YOu can email me at miriam (dot) mannak (at) g mail (dot) com.

8:59 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home